Global State of Information Security

Blog Date:  12/6/2016
Author:  Ray Coulombe
Category(s):  Cyber Security, Information Technology, State of the Industry

From April 4, 2016 to June 3, 2016, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC), and CXO Media (publications CIO, and CSO) conducted “The Global State of Information Security Survey 2017. While clearly meant for the IT sector, I found several areas of interest to the broader security market.

48% of IT services are delivered via the cloud – So, with IT departments placing more of their services in the cloud, it’s no surprise that electronic security will follow. Cloud security offered by the most reputable ISP’s are arguably more secure than most private clouds.

62% of respondents use managed security services for initiatives like authentication, identity and access management, real-time monitoring and analytics, and threat intelligence – This is good news, indeed. But what’s going on with the other 38%? There’s no excuse for not using today’s available technology.

57% employ biometrics for authentication – It’s great to see multi-factor authentication really taking hold. (Thank you, Apple.) I’ll be shocked if this number is not 10 points higher next year.

51% employ Big Data for cybersecurity - Big Data is one of the best technical tools for cyber defense. I sincerely hope that the tools and pricing can be brought to a point where the masses (i.e., SMB’s) can participate.

48% conduct vulnerability assessments, 47% conduct threat assessments, 44% conduct penetration testing – I lumped these together, because collectively they prompt a big “Shame on you” to the other 50+%.

38% of survey respondents reported phishing scams, making it the top vector of cybersecurity incidents – This is low hanging fruit. Education, training, ongoing awareness campaigns should all be part of an ongoing effort to be suspicious as hell about unsolicited links, files, images, etc., even if purported to be from someone you know well.

28% of survey respondents reported security compromises of mobile devices – I would be interesting to see a further breakdown of causes, which could include insufficient passwords, use of public Wi-Fi in the clear, bad apps, etc.

60% of respondents who use managed security services tap their service providers to handle identity and access management – This is good news, as third party providers probably do a better job using latest available technology.

23% plan to invest in artificial intelligence and machine learning this year – Having written about this several times this year, there is no doubt that this is a highly impactful technology. Good to see it moving beyond the early adopter phase.

46% are investing in an IoT security strategy, up 10 percent from the previous year – The sooner the better, as this area is on the verge of spiraling out of control!

For the complete report, click here.


Resource Blogs

Most Recent Blogs Listed for Ray Coulombe.


Stay Safe! While Traveling This Summer

It’s summer vacation time! The last thing you need to worry about it is getting your identity stolen while you’re sitting on a beach somewhere exotic. In 2016, more than 15 million Americans were victims of identity theft, up 16 percent from the previous year, according to Experian. Plus, about 33 percent of that fraud took place when people were traveling. Here’s a few tips to staying safe all summer while traveling...
read more -->


Rethinking Cabling

Cat 5e became an ANSI/TIA/EIA standard in 2001, Cat 6 in 2002, and Cat 6a in 2008. However, it may be extremely useful to consider taking advantage of other existing cabling infrastructure in lieu of running new. Read more to learn how to approach cabling.
read more -->


Off the Beaten Path at ISC West

This year at ISC (the International Security Conference and Exposition), I was determined to try to see the latest iStechnologies hiding in the nooks and crannies—literally! I visited booths in the back, the basement, small kiosks hidden inside larger vendor books, and throughout the Emerging Technology Zone.

In case you missed the show, I’ll round up some of the best new technologies and companies to keep an eye on. Read more.
read more -->


Cyber Crime Taking Down Cities

Earlier this year, in March, the City of Atlanta’s nearly 8,000 employees heard words they never thought they would hear: “It’s okay to turn your computers on.” Their computers were powered off for five days. In those five days Atlanta residents could not pay traffic tickets, water bills, or report city issues. Read how ransomware impacted this metropolitan area.
read more -->


A Few Thoughts on K-12 School Security

There is no one size fits all when it comes to K-12 school security. Schools vary in so many ways: size, age, local environment, affluence, culture, governance, and more. Read some helpful tips and resources that might just help your school be better prepared.
read more -->